September 2, 2008

Let There be Rain

This is our backyard, you can't even see the grass. Our house is surrounded by broken branches and parts of trees. Four hours after I took this picture you can't even see the back patio.
This is the yard at a church down the street from our house.

This is the ditch right in front of our house. A lot of rain is not unusual for the south so pretty much every main residential road has a 3-4 foot deep ditch on both sides of it for the water to sit in. They aren't drains they are just somewhere for the water to go. Ours has only filled up one time the whole time we've lived here, until this hurricane. I took this picture about 4 hours ago as well. Now the water is so high it has actually gone across the street and reaches the median. We have a police officer parked in our driveway with his lights on so that people will slow down.
Tim thinks I'm crazy because in the middle of a tropical storm I decide I want to drive around the neighborhood to get some good pictures. That's also why the next few pictures are blurry. This picture is of a golf course we go to.
This is a side road a block away from our house.
This is a circle subdivision across the street. You can't even see where the road and their yards and driveways start and end. I've never seen rain like this before, and it looks like it's not over yet. Like I said I took these pictures hours ago. I really need to invest in a camera that will take better pictures at night because you would not believe how much more it has rained. I drove down the street that Brynn's school is on and the water was so deep it came more than halfway up the door of the truck. Tim was so mad, he thought for sure I'd flood the engine. Our power went out at midnight last night and wasn't on again until 1 this afternoon. To say the house was hot and muggy would be an understatement. We are very fortunate though because I know there are people even a few houses away that are sweeping water out of their house. It's crazy how fast this stuff can happen!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW. I'm so glad you guys are ok. That looks so crazy!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys are OK, I've been thinking alot about you as I'm watching the weather channel. Keep us posted.

Lacey said...

crazyness! it kinds of looks fun to me though, but just as long as you are ok.